Everywhere I turned today…. some little morsel of information was plopping on my lap. Here are some things I learned in the process.
• More than twice as many people are killed by vending machines as by sharks. I can only speculate why this might be true. But doesn’t it make you wonder. Are these folks just walking by the machine and it explodes? Or perhaps it just falls over on them? OR… do they reach up in to the vending machine to grab a bag of Cheetos… and they get stuck…. leaving them to starve and die… all stuck-tight in that vending machine?
• The inventor of “best before dates” … . originally made for milk… was Al Capone’s brother Ralph. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. What I mean is… old Ralph was really thinking. He did something pretty good…. really. But his bad-boy-brother got all the press. (I guess this mean Al was spoiled…. rotten.)
• Ants can survive in a microwave. They are small enough to dodge the rays. So… the next time you make chocolate covered ants… stick with the conventional oven method. Otherwise, the outcome could be disastrous.
• A typical bird’s feathers weigh twice as much as its bones. That is really something, don’t you think? Human skin weighs about 20 pounds. Surprisingly enough… human bones weigh around 20 pounds (this is dependent on your frame size). Another reason we can’t flap our arms and fly.
• I have some friends who really dislike snakes (…. Janet.) Most of them have gardens. Here is a little tidbit for you. There is no such thing as a vegetarian snake. Snakes eat nothing except for other animals. This is one reason to like them…. gardeners. They won’t eat your stuff.
• One in 50 Americans claim to have been abducted by Aliens. I know more than 50 people. Not a one has ever mentioned this to me. If it is you, please… oh please…. fess up. I would love to hear about it.
• If you are 62 years old today… and this is your birthday…. you are a Goose in the Native American Astrology scheme of things. But, according to the Chinese Calendar… you were born in the year of the Rabbit. You are old… like… just about 32,611,568 minutes old. And you share a birth date with Bob Denver. THAT is the dude who played Gilligan… on Gilligan’s Island. I’m not sure what all this says about you…. but Happy Birthday to my dear, dear brother. Love you Eddie.
“My work is a game, a very serious game.” – M.C. Escher