So back to the whole Fairy / Troll discussion. Apparently, a LOT of people know both. I’ve received quite a bit of mail on this one.
There are a lot of theories about where Fairies come from:
1. One belief held that they were a class of “demoted” angels.
2. Another view held that the fairies were an intelligent species, distinct from humans and angels. In alchemy in particular they were regarded as gnomes and sylphs ( as described by Paracelsus ).
3. One popular belief was that they were the dead, or some subclass of the dead.
4. A fourth belief was the fairies were demons entirely. This belief became much more popular with the growth of Puritanism. The hobgoblin, once a friendly household spirit, became a wicked goblin. Dealing with fairies was in some cases considered a form of witchcraft and punished as such in this era. Hmmmmm.
5. One common theme found among the Celtic nations describes a race of diminutive people who had been driven into hiding by invading humans. They came to be seen as another race, or possibly spirits, and were believed to live in an Otherworld that was variously described as existing underground, in hidden hills (many of which were ancient burial mounds), or across the Western Sea.
Whatever they are…. I just know that they are EVERYWHERE! You just have to keep your eyes open…. and your heart.